Friday, August 3, 2007

Marching Band Is Cool

Thirty years ago this month I became a member of my high school marching band. It is difficult to describe, but it was the first time in my life that I felt I really belonged and mattered. My very best friends were in marching band. I wasn't the best musician, but I tried. At my school, the students and community members were proud of the marching band and it meant something to wear the uniform. It was great to be a member of a team. The marching band experience influenced my life and behavior in ways too many to mention. There must be something to this phenomenon as the experience has remained in my heart and head these past thirty years. Its much more than the performance. Here is a hint.

1 comment:

Darren G. Miller said...

Wow! This post really brought back the memories of my days in "the uniform."