Wednesday, July 11, 2007

30th Anniversary

Thirty years ago this summer I attended my first drum and bugle corps competition. The competition was held in Cary, NC. and featured the 27th Lancers and the Bridgemen. Since that summer 30 years ago, I've attended local and regional competitions every summer and have attended 17 Drum Corps International World Championships.
Through the years, the activity has brought me many joys. The corps have introduced me to a multitude of musical pieces and styles. Traveling to various competitions throughout the country has taken me to many wonderful cities and towns that otherwise I may not have visited. The visual and musical excitement created by the corps has been not only entertaining, but awesome. Lastly, the activity has provided me proof that there are other individuals in the world who realize the value and see the result of hard work and teamwork.

What joys has the drum and bugle corps activity provided you?

J. Kevin Benson


2 comments:

Neponset River Bridge Dig said...

good post Drum Corps has givin my life so much and still continues to give and give. I only wish I had more time to take it all in. Work and family take up a lot of my time so drum corps is something I do whenever I can. Made it to MAdison last Summer but couldn't make the trip to pasadena this year. Maybe next year in Indy.

I started marching in 1969 when I was 11 and was hooked ever since.

J. Kevin Benson said...

Thanks for responding to my post. You stated that you started marching in 1969. Did you march with a corps or with a high school marching band? Unfortunately, I never marched with a corps, only high school band. I played saxophone and didn't see how I could participate. Looking back, I could have learned to play something. I really wish I had done it. I was a show promoter for a while and that was fun. Each summer after attending a few shows, I make myself a promise to volunteer as a driver, cook, t-shirt salesman, anything. I'll do it one of these days.
Kevin B.